Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wednesday HodgePodge 2/13/2013

(Just a note:  My baby shower this week was really incredible.  I totally have pictures to share, but I want to wait and share them with updated pictures of nursery progress.  Since Favorite and I are spending some time sorting and organizing this weekend, I hope to share these pictures after Saturday.  But, seriously, hold. your. breath.  I am so excited about the way things are turning out--and I am far from an interior designer!)

1. This week marks the beginning of Lent...will you be giving something up or adding anything to your life during this season of the year?

I'm really attempting to practice purposeful gratitude.  I've found a bit of gratefulness (no matter how small) tends to change the lense through which I see most situations.  That one act shifts my entire focus, and, not surprisingly, my demeanor.

Frankly, I'm a much more relaxed person.  Of course, the monster contorting my stomach is a constant reminder that I have much for which to be grateful.

2. The day before Lent is Shrove Tuesday... tradition states you eat pancakes on this day. In some parts of the world Shrove Tuesday is actually known as 'pancake day'. How do you like your pancakes? Or don't you?

Oh pancakes.  You are certainly one of my love languages.  I prefer them with a bit of butter (none of that margarine nonsense) and maple syrup.  Though, if given a choice, I honestly prefer French Toast.

3. I'm sure there are many, but what's one love song you really love?

"Heavenly Day" by Patty Griffin--I can't sing that song without smiling or finding my own harmony to go along with Patty's soulful-bluegrassy sound.  And these days?  Some of the lyrics just mean something different to me:  "The smile on your face/ I've been longin' to see"

4. What are some things you do to let others know you love them?

A lot of people would probably describe me as a fairly loud, ostentatious person.  But when it comes to feelings?  I tend to be a little more reserved.

These days, my time is often a declaration of my feelings.  Time is precious.  Of course, I also attempt to write to them or about them.  But even then, words are sometimes difficult to find or don't quite "get there."

5. Roses...red, pink, or do you prefer another color? Can you recall the last time someone gave you flowers? Given your choice would you like to open the door and see a dozen red roses, a dozen purple tulips, or a dozen pink peonies?

Yellow is my favorite color, but I like roses in all colors.  Thankfully, Favorite doesn't feel flowers are a special occasion thing, because I got some beautiful daisies at work last week.  It had been a rough week and I just wasn't feeling well.  He thought they would brighten my day, and he was right.

(Girls, sometimes I just don't deserve that man.)

Out of those last three options, I would prefer the pink peonies.  Peonies just smell up a whole room and you can't be sad around them!

6. President's Day will be celebrated in America next Monday. Does US Presidential history and trivia interest you? Many Presidential homes are open to the public and offer guided tours...Monticello (Jefferson's home), Mount Vernon (Washington's home), Montpelier (James Madison's home), Hyde Park (FD Roosevelt's home) and The White House (home to the sitting President) to name just a few. Of those listed which would you be most interested in touring? Why?

Trivia interests me, but presidential trivia really isn't my thing.  In fact, I'm really only interested in history as it applies to literature.

Wait...that last statement isn't entirely true.  I guess I'm just not a big fan of American political history?  Though, if I understood a bit more, I would probably be a better informed voter these days.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I'd never voluntarily tour any of those places.  But put John and Sherry Petersik's house on the list and I'm there.  (I'm not sure what this says about my priorities or personality.)

7. Are you good at keeping secrets?

Yep.  Some things just aren't mine to tell.

8.  Insert your own thought.

So. Much. Baby. Stuff. 

Y'all.  I know Hebrews says we're surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses.  The implication there is we are encouraged by those who kept the faith and have passed on, but Favorite and I are currently surrounded by a community of encouragement that could best be described as a great cloud of witnesses.

Witnesses who believed and prayed for us when we were over it.

Witnesses who continue to support and celebrate us in this new journey.

Witnesses who will love and help raise Ryan like he is a flesh and blood relative.

I am so thankful for all they've given us; we were certainly overwhelmed with the gifts we received this weekend.  But when I see those things, I rarely think "YAY!  STUFF!"  Instead, I think how blessed I am to have these people to call mine.

And how much more blessed Ryan will be because they are his.

2 comments:

April said...

Baby showers are always such fun...especially when it's your own! Glad to hear that your nursery is coming along well! Enjoy every step!

bp said...

I remember that feeling of so many blessings and so much love from so many surrounding us after our baby showers.