Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Dear Mr Webster...

Over the last year, it's become a habit to look up things in the dictionary if I don't feel I can adequately explain a concept I grasp emotionally. I have this overwhelming need to explain things in finite terms--things that can be grasped by any bystander who happens to be listening. Turns out there are some things that just can't be explained in those terms.

I've started realize that some things are concepts you can't understand until you've experienced them. Or concepts that can't be explained in a finite way. I can't explain what it means to be overwhelmingly grateful. What it means to be loved and to love. Or the elusive nature of grief.

But here I am always trying to put words with the music that's floating in and out of my life. Most of the time I get it wrong, but sometimes, very rarely, I actually manage to get the thought across in its entirity. I'm hoping for more of those moments. Here's to a new day...

No comments: