Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Gimme the Clicker

I've started something new--just one day in, in fact.

I'm always complaining that there is not enough time in a day to accomplish the things I want to accomplish. In a lot of ways, this statement is true. It's difficult to manage all of the things we feel obligated to manage on a daily basis. But in some ways, this statement is a clue to how much time I mismanage in a day.

Don't get me wrong. We all need downtime and time to relax. It makes sense to take an occasional break so we don't become completely overwhelmed with work or assignments. I, however, tend to take that "downtime" to the nth degree when I walk through my front door.

I turn on my television, eat dinner and then sit for the majority of my evening. If I do housework or laundry, I do it with the television on. When I go to bed, I watch television. That thing rarely gets turned off after I walk through the door. It's ridiculous.

So, in the name of science (or what I'm calling science), I'm conducting an experiment. I'm allowing myself 1-2 hours of television when I get home from work every day. After a maximum of 2 hours, the television goes off--regardless of whatever relationship I feel I have formed with the characters on the screen. If I'm right, I have a feeling I'm going to be more productive. Other possible outcomes? I could lose weight. I could be less tired in the morning. I might actually manage to find time to do all of those things I don't feel I have time to do every day--time to pray, to do Bible study.

I'm going to attempt to update my log at least once a week (maybe more) to report how my project is progressing. At the very least, I expect that I'll be a little less stressed--which is odd, considering I sit and just watch TV to destress.

No comments: