Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

16 Weeks--Little Navajo

(I know I have a weird look on my face.  It happens.)


Yesterday, BigBro and SILSheena celebrated their first anniversary.  If you have a chance, go tell them congratulations :)  What better reason to celebrate than two people staying married an entire year?

And now...on with the show.

How Far Along: 16 Weeks

Size: Little Navajo is the size of an avocado.

Gender: About four weeks before we know. Favorite is convinced it's a girl, but my father is now convinced Navajo is a boy.  People seem to be vehemently split so we'll see.  I had to move my appt. back a bit so I'll know the week before Thanksgiving and we'll schedule a gender reveal sometime after that.

Movement: The doctor confirmed that I had likely been feeling her/him.  Mostly, I feel her at night when I lay down, but if I bend over, she pokes at me as if to say, "HEY!  Running out of room in here.  Wanna straighten up and give me some space?!"

Sleep: It's been off and on.  Sometimes I sleep really soundly.  Other nights, I toss and turn and get up a hundred times.

Maternity Clothes: It's hit and miss.  I did notice that some of my t-shirts are too short to deal with my WHOA MOMMA! belly so I bought some longer ones.  I have noticed that bigger sizes are often cheaper than buying maternity clothes, and I like to layer...so I've been doing a lot of that.  I definitely appreciate Target even more than I did before (and that's saying something!).

I have one of those belly bands, but I'm not really a fan.  I mostly use it because work pants with the smaller panel are next to impossible to find if you're not interested in wearing anything with "skinny" in the title.

Hint:  I'm not.

Symptoms: This week?  Headaches.  I've had some monster migraines I just haven't been able to shake.  At my appt. this week, the doctor said it's likely because the baby is starting to move my spine and causing some muscle tension in there.  She suggested massages--so now I have an excuse :)  Now if I had the time?

Also?  Frequent urination, crazy thirst, a lingering sense of tired (better some days than others), etc.

Aversions: Meat in general--chicken especially.  In fact, I now seem to gag any time chicken is in a dish I eat.  I have to push it over to the side.  I was never a huge fan, but I always managed to eat it.  Not anymore, I guess.  Also, Hazelnut coffee, Cigarette smoke, Pickles, and Eggs.

Oh, and that junk they give you to drink to test for gestational diabetes?  I won't be seeking another serving of that any time soon.

Cravings: Milk, Cold water, graham crackers

What I miss: I'm so grateful to be pregnant. I can't think of one thing I should be missing.

Feeling toward pregnancy:  All of a sudden I have a timeline on all the habits I've been wanting to develop.  The things I worked so hard for this summer are cycling through my head again along with a call to purposeful living.

This experience is just a reminder that I need to calculate how I spend my time.  Time currency definitely dictates the important things in my life, and I want my kid to know s/he is the most important person in my life behind Jesus and Favorite.  But if s/he never sees me give time to those two things?  How will she know?

How will she know that healthy eating is important?  Or exercise is a good idea?  Or that television isn't nearly as time worthy as socializing with friends and family or taking care of responsibilities? 

The only answer I have is this:  it starts with me.  I have an opportunity to show her an example of purposeful living.  And I have the next five months to make sure I understand it myself.

Best Moment this week: As soon as the doctor put the doppler on my belly, I could hear Navajo's heart beating.  She didn't have to search for it at all, and that sound was just amazing.  Strong and steady are now some of my favorite words in the English language.

Also, Favorite told me I looked like "a dog that had been fed bacon grease."  I think it was a compliment? And there was a class of students who informed me I looked pregnant-er this week than last.  They spent the next few minutes deconstructing my wardrobe to determine my exact growth pattern.

What I'm looking forward to: The Gender Reveal! I can't wait to know if Little Navajo is a girl (like Favorite believes) or a boy (like my father insists).

Starting on the nursery.

Finalizing our names.

And just shopping in general.  I love to go to the baby section at any store, and right now I'm looking at a few diaper bags.  Here's number 1:

This is the Thirty-One utility tote in Poppy.  I own a utility tote and I luuuurrrrrvvvvveee it.  It holds so much stuff and keeps everything nice and compartmentalized.  I like this bag because the pockets would keep some things accessible while still offering plenty of space for other must-haves.  Oh, and the colors are perfect.  We intend to do the nursery in red and teal (boy or girl--I've never been a fan of pastels) so this bag would match perfectly.

But SILSheena introduced me to skiphop.com, and I've had time to check out fun options like this one:


And this one:


I like that the bottom two close while the Thirty-One bag stays open on the top, but I haven't made any decisions yet.  Right now, I'm just enjoying the process of looking.

One thing at a time, right?

10 comments:

Established: 2008 said...

I'm not a fan of Belly Bands either. Mine roll up all the time! But, as I'm still maternity pants-less, they're better than nothing. Yay for 16 weeks!

CaseyRhea said...

I can't even read this because I can't stop staring at your amazeballs clothing color combo! I'm drooling for that sweater!

Unknown said...

I think I am saying girl for now :)

Veronica M. D. said...

Open at top bags are good in theory, but soon you will be lugging lots of stuff around, and things are apt to be dropped (if you're like me). Dumping the contents of your bag on the floor of the doctor's office is no fun! Plus, soon the little bugger will be able to reach in and grab stuff if it's not zipped up!

HOWEVER, I have a tote of stuff that I carry around the house with me. I originally had a bin with diapers, wipes, burp rags, etc., but found I couldn't carry it from room to room if I was also carrying a newborn, a boppy, and a glass of water, so tote bag follows me everywhere.

Veronica M. D. said...

Oh, and thanks for your comment on my blog. I loved the llama books, too. I can't believe we don't have any yet! Thanks for the reminder! :)

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I'm still just so pleased for you. I love every word of this post - so many women (myself included I'm afraid) complain through pregnancy. Your enthusiasm is refreshing.

Sheena said...

I've been meaning to comment all week and just keep forgetting.
#1-She's a girl. Your dad only says boy to get Favorite going. He secretly thinks it a girl too.
#2-You should totally take advantage of the whole massage thing.
#3-Thirty-One has that tote with a zipper: http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/Catalog/Product/227/

Sheena said...

PS-for every $31 you spend in Oct., you can get that Super Organizing Tote for half-off.

You're welcome! ;-)

Wendy Annabeth said...

Congrats! Such a cute picture. I'm a new GFC follower :)
xo
www.domesticsweetheart.com

Kristin said...

I registered for the Skip Hop Duo. I have not seen one in person, but seems like decent bag. 16 weeks!!! Wooohooo!