Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Be Amazed--Be Changed

I sat and talked to a co-worker today about workplace environment and relationships among co-workers. Actually, that's probably intellectualizing our conversation. We were talking about people who are catty in the workplace. There. That's more accurate.

Anyway...that conversation got me to thinking about my role in the workplace and how much I contribute to the things I don't like. I couldn't help but modify the words of a song I love: "Oh, the differences that often are between...who we really are and who we want to be."

I shuffled music during my time in the gym today and heard, "There's no such thing as perfect people. There's no such thing as a perfect life...so come as you are--broken and scarred. Lift up your hearts and be amazed, be changed, by a perfect God" (Natalie Grant). I think it's become my theme song (and it will be my next special at church!). And while I listened, I couldn't help myself: I thought about all the ways I lack--my mouth being of particular precedence lately.

It's not just about language. It's about being the kind of person who is trusted because she is constant, reasonable and fair--particularly in light of all the differences in personality. When people think of me, I want them to think I'm polite, kind and consistent--but I mostly want them to think I'm consistent. It's where I lack the most and what I want the worst. Odd how that happens sometimes.

At the end of the day, I guess that's one of the few things that identifies me as "Christian," and I'm not sure I've been doing such a great job of flashing that identification.

No comments: