Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

For the Love

A former student (not mine, just one who attended hometown high) recently posted that she wants to get married and followed it up with a few explanations as to why marriage sounds appealing.

Her thoughts were pure and sweet and everything that they should be regarding marriage this stage in her life.  In fact, I was almost jealous that she gets to see it from this viewpoint.  Then I realized how much sweeter it is from my side of the fence.

I've been blessed with a man who is a provider.  He sacrifices, comforts, teases and works.  He tells hilarious stories from work, gets angry when schedules clash and misses me when we don't see each other.

He holds my hand and gets in my personal space.  He snores at night but often throws all of the covers on me because he's too hot.  He lets me read when he's trying to go to sleep and turns his light off when I'm ready to go to sleep.

His companionship is more than I imagined a relationship would be in a marriage.  His support has been invaluable--one of the things that has kept me together when I had every reason to fall apart.

But he lets me...fall apart, that is.  It doesn't scare him to let me cry.  And sometimes, we cry together.

Marriage has been a process for us.  We've discovered, learned and grown.  But it's been a blessed process because he's really the ooshy, gooshy wonderful I've painted him to be.

It's likely that not everyone believes our relationship is ideal.  It's certainly had its ups and downs; however, there are so many things you don't see--the ripples of experience and emotion that have gradually changed the waters of who we are individually and as a couple.

"Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot sweep it away."
Song of Solomon 8:7

No comments: