Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Simple Joys

I happen to think that ordinary life is exceptionally fun when one is willing to embrace it for what it is.  I say that realizing that I will never walk down the red carpet and knowing that no one is going to chase me down because they absolutely MUST copy my hairstyle.  But, for me, that's perfectly fine. 

I have had the privilege of appreciating the simplest of joys.  Sometimes it's getting your toes done just to make a bad week a little brighter.

I don't have the prettiest feet, so every now and again I try to get a pedicure so the callouses on my heels don't take over my entire leg (how's that for gross?!).  This time, I went with a classic red. 

Sometimes simple joys mean walking through the mall to see five boys who have crammed themselves into the hurricane simulator.  Of course, that feeling escalates when you realize that all of those students are from your high school, and many of them were your own students.

Who wouldn't enjoy this?  To add to the madness, one of the guys in this very small space was the heavy weight for our wrestling team.  Surely you can see the problem with this picture.


Simple joys might mean finding the perfect jewelry to go with a new dress.  Again, that joy is magnified when the jewelry is a lovely shade of yellow.  Yellow is my favorite color so when I found a black and white dress, I knew I would be able to accessorize with sunny brightness :)

And who doesn't love shiny, gem-like beads when it comes to jewelry?  Seriously.  Every girl wants to sparkle...in an acceptable fashion.


And name me a girl who can't find joy in a new pair of shoes.  Since my friend Michael was getting married in the heat of June, I didn't feel daring enough to wear a pair of heels.  I love to rock peep toe pumps as much as the next girl, but when it's a hundred degrees outside, I sweat.  My feet sweat.  Then, my feet slide in my shoes.  It's not pleasant.

With that in mind, I decided a fun pair of flat sandals would do the trick.  Aren't they fun?  And they're a nice pewter color that will match a variety of clothing choices.  Feel free to applaud my taste.

But joy is most often found in the happiness of others.  Today I had the privilege of watching a dear friend (he was my bestie in college!) marry a wonderful woman.  Even though it was hot (Seriously.  So.  Hot.), it was hard not to appreciate the sense of joy that filled the hearts of those who witnessed two hearts as they were stitched together as husband and wife.

So ordinary life isn't so bad when you look at it through a certain lens.  Those simple joys offer me more than any People cover ever could.

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Psalm 16:11

No comments: