Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Along for the Ride

I hope you're not getting tired of house pictures, because there's going to be a series of them until the whole thing is finished.  We've got a lot to do together--pick paint colors, install cabinets, put the closet together, purchase nice bookcases, find hardwood flooring, pick out rugs, purchase furniture--not necessarily in that order.

I was just thinking that with a 6 month trip ahead of us, it might be nice if I checked to see if you were enjoying the ride.

Glad to have you along.

You have to admit that while this project took a while to get on its feet, it's pretty satisfying to see this:
Turn into this:
in a matter of days.

This side view is my dad's favorite angle on the house, so I thought I'd share that first.  I think he's right; it's beautiful.  Whoever says construction is not art has never watched a house like this go together piece by piece.  They know exactly how to fit angles and cut siding and make it look like everything I've imagined for the last 3 years.

The white trim on the roof of the porch really does wonders for that part of the house, too.  I was excited before, but the more I see, the more I like. 

Do you ever just have a sense of peace about something?  That's what Favorite and I had with these house plans.  As soon as I saw this one, I knew it was perfect.  I showed Favorite a couple plans I had found the day I looked, and when he saw this one, he said, "That's perfect."

After all the horror stories we've heard about building a house, it was nice to have such a sense of peace about the plans--which I understand are some of the hardest things to agree on.  And, for the most part, our disagreements have been minimal.

Favorite is always nervous about money, and it's probably a good thing.  A healthy understanding of money keeps us (and by us, I mean me) realistic regarding amenities.  I can be reasonable, but I can't lie:  I would jump at the chance to have quartz counter top and I can't help that I love cherry wood.

Despite what my cousin Sarah calls "Wine taste on a beer budget," I really think our choices to date have met our desires without becoming too terribly pricey.  Let's face it.  Sometimes the adage "You get what you pay for" really is true.

Unfortunately, that argument didn't work when I showed Favorite the quartz.

Then he looked like he was going to vomit.

Actually, that's a regular occurrence any time we mention "House necessities." 

But that's another blog for another time.

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts,
since as members of one body
you were called to peace. And be thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in
you richly as you teach and admonish one
another with all wisdom, and
as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual
songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.
And whatever you do, whether in word or
deed, do it all in the name of the Lord
Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him"
Colossians 3:15-17


No comments: