Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Inadequacy of Time

I hate the phrase "Time heals all wounds." I hate that stupid phrase because it's a lie--plain and simple. Time doesn't heal anything. Time just puts more distance between the memory of what was and the actuality of what is. And if that's healing, we're all in for a world of hurt.

There's nothing wrong with putting distance between yourself and a hurt and allowing that distance to take your mind off of it. It keeps us from dwelling on the unfixable. The problem is that distance will sometimes sneak up on you. All of a sudden, the senses take over and the realization of hurt and/or loss is tangible again--as though weeks and months haven't passed at all.

So as far as healing is concerned, time is useless. And you can quote me on that.

I guess the one thing that time might provide is a renewal of hope. So as the minutes pass, like they are meant to, we have the opportunity to reach for the possibility instead of the might-have-been.

I guess I just wonder what you do with the might-have-been in the meantime?

No comments: