Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Weighing the Options

I bought a scale.

Like, to weigh on.

Wait...that ends in a preposition.

On which to weigh.

Hm.  Still sounds fat.

But I did it for my best interest.  I know that I'm more likely to eat what I want if I can't track the weight it puts on my body.  I know that's bad for me.  I know my weight is a problem.  No, I do not need reminders from random passers by.

But I won't lie.  Eating well is hard.  It takes preparation.  And food is exempt from my stellar preparation skills.  That means I eat things like cookies or donuts if they are in front of me.  Accessability.  A necessity in so many areas of life.  Frustration in the diet world.

I've made an honest effort to keep most of that stuff out of my house.  I've been pretty successful.  That doesn't mean I never eat that stuff.  I do work, you know.  But I'm working on it.

Since I started reading the book Made to Crave, I've identified a few really unhealthy behaviors in my life.  Look for me to post about that book in the future.  It's an easy read, but it's definitely an uncomfortable read.  No one wants to read that she is at fault for her own weight gain--particularly when you weigh what I do.  Let's be honest.  Due to PCOS, I'm never going to have a week where I lose 7 or 8 pounds.  But I can lose 1 or 2.  I can still move more.  I can still eat better things.

So I'm committing to that.  Here's what I've decided:

1.  I pack my lunch every day.  I'm going to make sure that at least half of what's in my bag consists of veggies or no-sugar-added fruit.

2.  When I finish eating, I"m not going to sit in the teacher's lounge and visit.  That usually ends in greasy handfuls of popcorn or grazing.  I'm going to leave and maybe walk around the hallway until lunch is over.  That will get rid of some of my stir crazy feelings and keep me from eating more.

3.  I'm going to make a concentrated effort to fill out my online Weight Watchers tracker.  I need to.  I'm paying for it.  I just can't seem to remember to do it on a daily basis.

4.  I'm going to weigh every morning.  I know this isn't a good strategy for some people, but if it's at the forefront of my mind, I'm less likely to swing by McDonald's on my way home and get chicken McNuggets.

-----

On another note, I'm really excited about Prayer Monday.  For those of you intimidated by Mr. Linky, take a breath.  All you have to do is post on your own site and then follow the instructions at the bottom of my post.  Take a look at the bottom of this post if you still have questions.

You do not have to be one of my followers to link up so feel free to join.

Especially remember to pray for one another throughout the week.  It doesn't have to be any big 30 minute ordeal.  I generally pray on my way to work (or when I'm in the shower).  And it's the last thing I do before I go to sleep at night.  Don't let the commitment intimidate you.  Instead, encourage yourself to open the lines of communication with your heavenly Father.  I think it's going to be so cool to see how things affects each of us.

I hope you have a fantastic Thursday.  I have a meeting.

Oh, and for all of you who were wondering:  the lumber store is replacing my weird hinges.  They should be in this week.  No worries.  And my stairs are wonderfully covered...with paint.

2 comments:

Sheena said...

I will commit to weighing every morning. UGH! I hate that stupid scale, but it most certainly affects my perspective on food.

Tara said...

Something I like to do is to divide fruit and vegetables into snack bags or small containers so they are convenient to eat. Then when I head to the kitchen out of boredom, maybe I grab some baby carrots or pineapple, instead of cookies or chips. I usually try to do it as soon as I get home from the store so I don't put it off.