Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Learning to Eat

The requirements for Weight Watchers used to be different.  When I first started the program (in 8th grade), there was a prescribed amount of protein, dairy, grain, etc. one was supposed to eat a meal.  I didn't stick with the diet long in those days.  Likely because they limited my orange juice intake and I couldn't figure out where cream cheese fit on my plate.

When I next joined the program, Points had taken over.  Enrollees could eat whatever they pleased as long as they didn't exceed their daily allotment of points.  Life was good.  I could have my cream cheese and eat it, too.

This, of course, might be why I'm 31 years old and have no idea how to eat.

Enter my Bento.

A lunchbox isn't a magical spell that all of a sudden enables the possesser to radically modify his/her diet.  But the concept around the Bento made sense to me.  And, as stupid as it may sound, it's teaching me.

So far, I'm down almost 3 lbs.  But what I'm more proud of?  I've eaten more fruits and veggies in the last three weeks than I've likely consumed in the last three years of my life.  (I'm excluding salads here.  Nary a salad has been found in my box.)  Even more impressive?  I'm consuming more protein than I've ever been willing to eat.  And one rule I try to stick to?  My lunch has to be as colorful as possible.  Some days I'm more successful than others.

One cheat day per week (usually Friday night dinner) has kept me from consuming white sugar, white flour and white potatoes every single other day of the week--even when I eat out.

I'm really proud of those three pounds.  But I think I'm more proud of the fact that I'm actually sticking to my resolution to eat better.  And I'm especially excited to know that I may actually be responsible for something that can help heal my PCOS (though I have to credit God with much of what's happened already).

Next time, I'll try to post some pictures so you can see exactly what has made it into the Bento.

No comments: