Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Live-Ins--Alex and Barky

I realize I've been posting more and more often, but I wouldn't get used to it.  During the school year, I will be a busy girl, and my posts will likely be few and far between.  But as I get used to the blog world and use it chronicle my life (and Hubby's!), I've figured out that I want to share it accurately (and it keeps me from every having to scrapbook anything.  Ever.).

I want to introduce you to one of my little live-ins.  You've met Barky, but you haven't met his companion.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is Alex.

Alex was an unexpected addition to our household.

Gloria, my aunt (you know, with the popcorn popper?), saw a little dog running the streets in her town.  She came home and mentioned it to  my all-to-compassionate cousin, Jake the Snake.  Ole Snake has a soft spot in his heart for dogs (and his beloved Cooper should be thankful) so he found him and brought him home.

Gloria happened to have a very territorial shih tzu living at her house at the time, and knew she couldn't keep him.  Of course, I also have a very territorial shih tzu:
Remember him?  Well, he's not known for his winning personality. 

But Gloria knew I would fall in love with him. 

So Alex has been a part of our household since then.  After a visit to the vet, we found out he had been mistreated.  His teeth are messed up (vet says it's due to blunt force trauma to his head) and he's obviously skittish in certain circumstances.  He hates thunderstorms and would rather potty on carpet than grass.  I guess we all have our preferences.

The funny thing is how he made himself right at home.  He and Barky are the best of buddies (most of the time), and Alex fell in love with my neice the moment he saw her.

She was about 9 months old.  I put her pumpkin seat on the floor, and the next thing I knew, a little black and white puppy had crawled into her lap to take a nap.  I wish I had a picture of it.

They've been fast friends ever since.  He may pee on my carpet, but I'll have to keep him because Sugarbean would be devastated if I didn't.  She calls him "Awex" and says he's her buddy.  He's pretty fond of her, too (when she's not trying to feel his eyes) because, when Sugarbean visits, Alex gets to eat about 150 biscuits--his favorite.

It's just a small glimpse into my household.  So now when I complain about one dog peeing on the carpet and one biting everyone, you'll know exactly what I mean.

No comments: