Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Jiggle It

This is a world full of ego maniacs.  People need to have their ego stroked to work well, or, in some cases, work at all.  I find it increasingly frustrating that an entire subgroup of people exist who simply need the rest of us to tell us how great they are when they may not, in fact, be great at all.

On Fridays, I try to get home as fast as possible, because Favorite is home and we get to hang out.  Plus, it's the weekend.  But this past Friday?  I sat in the parking lot while my ignition refused to turn.

No matter what I did (and I tried a great many things), that stupid key refused to budge.

I made sure my car was in park.  I turned the steering wheel.  I wiggled the key.  I turned harder.

And for my effort?  I got a blister on my finger.

I finally broke down and called Favorite.  He drove all the way into town (about 15 minutes), got in my car and started it right up.

I narrowed my eyes and asked, "Why would it work for you?"

He said, "You have to jiggle it."

"I DID jiggle it."

"Yeah," he said.  "But you have to jiggle it a specific way to get it to turn.  It has to be really fast and then you have to turn back before you turn forward."

So what did I learn from this experience?

My ignition doesn't just need to be stroked; it needs to be stroked with precison.  Therefore?  My ignition is a bastard ego maniac.

Which I guess is a valuable lesson for a Friday.

No comments: