Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Theory...or lack of

I've spent my day grading papers, reading about deconstructinist theory and contemplating the fact that the really disturbing thing about trauma is the fact that you don't really experience it until you are absent from the event that caused it in the first place.

Thank you grad school for fixing my ability to converse like a normal human being. I'm going to spend the next three days adding "that's what she said" to the end of every sentence to keep myself from getting absorbed in material I only half understand.

I wish I still believed that what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger. Too bad I put that theory to rest last year or I would be drowning in the ocean while trying to use it as my flotation device.

Speaking of flotation devices: does anyone have a good topic for Holocaust literature that leans heavily toward the theoretical? I can only tread water for so long...

4 comments:

Katie said...

I don't even really understand what you are asking for. Does that make you feel better?

CaseyRhea said...

please go watch survivor... it will help you with your jokes! dude said something about walking around until he getting wood. I had to rewind it three times, and I was laughing so hard that I still don't know exactly what he said!

Ranae said...

I don't have an idea right now, but let me ask a friend who is a college English professor who teaches classes that deal with theoretic things. I'll get back with you ASAP! Keep your chin up--you'll get it and then some!!

TheHouse said...

Thanks, Ladies.

I don't mind a challenge, but this class is a little like running a marathon when all the training you did consisted of walking to the mailbox to get the mail.