Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

There's No I in Team

Last night, a couple of coworkers and I ate dinner and then headed back to our local school board meeting.  We were anticipating a bit of a stressful night that revolved around test scores and, unfortunately, a discussion of AYP.

Our principal and one of my coworkers were armed with tables, charts, graphs--basically more information than could be processed in an hour.

My coworkers and I were armed with a love for our jobs and a real desire to do it well.

We explained.  We shared our position.  They listened.

Then, oh and then, they related to us.  They didn't just get it.  They commented.  They shared personal experiences and they shared opinions.

I wanted to stand up and scream, "YES!  Yes, it would be more beneficial if parents were more involved.  Yes, slow readers really don't perform well on this test even if they are thorough readers.  Yes, we are reevaluating our curriculum and adapting where it seems necessary, but no, we're not willing to disregard the fact that we aren't just preparing students for a test."

It was a light bulb moment.  But more than anything, it made me proud to be part of a team.

No comments: