Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Alex: Updated

Alex died this morning.  He was my rescued puppy.  So now, I'm sitting here typing this when I should probably be using my planning period to grade papers.  I guess my mind is a little too occupied.

Part of me feels really stupid for being so upset.  But, as the students in English III pointed out this morning, dogs become like a member of the family.  And Alex was certainly a member of ours.

I don't know what kind of life he had before he came to our house.  I do know, at some point, he was mistreated and suffered from some ailments due to his mistreatment.  He never did have very many teeth, and always looked a little pathetic as far as dogs go.  But he had the sweetest demeanor anyone could ask for, and didn't even offer to growl at my neice when she wanted to feel his eyeballs.

I hope his life with us was a comfort to him.  He gained weight, his coat started to shine and he played with toys and his buddy, Barky.  He never did quite get the hang of only pottying outside, but if that was his only downfall, he was a pretty good dog.

I knew he was sick last night.  I didn't realize how sick he was.  This morning, he started seizing so Favorite decided to take him to the vet.  Unfortunately, he took his last breath on the trip there.

I'm going to miss him.  How do you not miss something that's been so much a part of your life for the past 4 years?  Thankfully, Favorite will be burying him by the new house before I get home.  We wanted to bury him in the dirt he liked to roll in.  I know that sounds stupid, but I guess you do stupid things when you're just a little heartbroken.

I want to remember his high-pitched bark that we didn't hear until he had been living with us for a year.  I want to remember how he would shake a toy, let go and then try to figure out where he had thrown it.  I've dreaded walking through this house knowing that he isn't going to be here anymore.  Mostly, I just know that we are all going to miss him a great deal.

Farewell, buddy.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so sorry. I loved Alex "the Junkyard Dog". He was a very good puppy and I know you guys will really miss him!

Armanda said...

I agree with your English III class. I know my dogs are very much a part of the family and I would react exactly the same as you! I'm sorry for your loss. I will pray God eases some of the ache, Love you!

Anonymous said...

Sis, you know Alex was the only one of the family dogs I've ever really cared for. As much as I don't usually show emotion over this kind of thing, I'm pretty heartbroken over this event. Alejandro was a great dog and will be severely missed by everyone. I hope you and Chris will focus more on the happiness he brought you as opposed to more recent events. I love you sis and if you ever need anything you can feel free to talk to me.