Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

UPS: The Reason I Need a Nap

The kids in my building are spending more time blowing noses, sniffing mucus and looking dejected these days.  Allergy season?  Maybe.  I don't want to think about the other possibilities--mostly because I want to believe that my exhaustion is due to over-working.

I don't care if it's denial.

I love denial. 

And denial may carry me through this week.

In my defense, it's been a trying week.  First, there was my fight with the UPS people.  I ordered a couple of books from amazon (Bonhoeffer:  Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy and A Series of Unfortunate Events:  The Bad Beginning--yes, I realize these books don't have anything in common) and I was anxiously awaiting their arrival.  When they didn't make it to my house on Monday, I logged into amazon to view the tracking information.

The tracking information indicated that my address did not exist.

I looked around, trying to figure out if I was the only one who could see my invisible dwelling.

Turns out, no.  The dogs can see it, too.  And so can my in-laws, because they knocked on my not-so-imaginary door.

In an attempt to rectify this situation, I called UPS.

UPS:  So the address DOES exist?

Me:  Um, yeah.  You've been delivering here for the last seven years.

UPS:  Ooooooh.  I see.

Me:  Did you get a new driver?

UPS:  *Apologetically*  Yeah.  He may not know his way around.  Could you give me landmark directions?

Me:  Sure.  There is a big pond out in front of the trailer and we are building a house beside our trailer.

UPS:  *Writing*  They are building a house...there is a pond...

Me:  I also had a second package.  Can I expect both of those tomorrow?

UPS:  A second package?  Hang on.  Let me check that.  *Pause*  Huh.  You're completely right.  We'll deliver both of them tomorrow.

Me:  Thank you.

On Tuesday, both of my packages arrived.  Written on the top of the package from amazon:  "a pond in front...their building a house."

*Sigh*  I guess I can send my struggling English students to apply for a job at UPS?

__________

If you pray for dogs, would you pray for mine?  His name is Alex, and when I got home today, he seemed very sick--won't even take a biscuit (his favorite).  I'm pretty worried.

No comments: