Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Goodbye, Facebook.

I am deleting facebook.

When I gave up myspace, it was like quitting smoking to take up chewing instead.  This time, I am going cold turkey.

There are several reasons why I no longer feel the need to keep a facebook account despite the fact that I am going to miss correspondence with people I really enjoy.  First of all, it's a time issue.  I really do spend way too much time on facebook, and it's easy to while away hours waiting for someone to post a status update.  My blog, fortunately, doesn't demand I spend hours of time staring at the screen while I wait for someone to invite me to play Farmville. 

Secondly, internet sites like facebook promote a fake type of relationship.  We know things about people without ever developing a lot of involvement with many of them.  I am particularly guilty.  I used the information as conversation fodder when half of it was none of my business.  Plus, it was really easy to get wrapped up in the craziness of other people's lives when I really have things in my life that require attention.

These aren't the only two reasons I'm giving up my social networking site.  Favorite and I talked about it briefly, and I just feel like this is the best decision for me at this point in my life.  And, like I said, I'm going to miss the correspondence with a few of the people.  But I hope to get emails from you (just click the "Contact Me" email button) or comments from you here.  I don't want to end the relationships I have...I really just feel like it's time for me to make some of those relationships a little more "real."

Of course, one of those relationships is my prayer relationship with my Heavenly Father.  I am forever complaining about the lack of time in my life but I never seem to lack for facebook time or television time.  So I'm declaring what's important. 

Facebook didn't make the cut.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have often contemplated doing the same, still am contemplating it. It is a time sucker, for sure! I haven't fully committed to it just yet, as there are some things that I do like about it (picture sharing among friends, for example) but I have to be very cautious about cultivating the "real" relationships and not allowing facebook to shallow them out. Thanks for this post. So true.

Sarah Wellmeier Photography said...

I have thought about doing the same thing lately. Trying to figure out how I can do it and still keep my fan page or "is" the fan page really free advertising when I spend so much time updating...kinda comes back to how much your time is worth? Hoping I can figure it out soon:)

Brooke said...

I really really like this. everything about it. i think i'm gonna do the same, i've been contemplating it too, just like the women in the posts above mentioned. And really, there's not much holding me back except the fact that I communicate with my mom a lot. And then there are the pictures that people comment on, which boost my self-confidence. Buuut, I can do without the boosters - I want to delete my account. You've inspired me. Given me that positive push. Thanks:)