Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tests, Drywall, Appliances and Evaluations (Basically, everything but the kitchen sink...but that's only because we haven't bought one yet)

There are some really important things that are taking place this week, and I will update you about one I hold very tender tomorrow. 

Today, my brain is shot because it was all-testing-day at my school.  That means that the freshmen, sophomores and juniors are all taking a different (but required) standarized test for the first half of the day while the seniors attend senior day at a local community college.  To make a long story short, it was a LONG day.  During testing the proctors are not allowed to read, write, grade or do anything otherwise productive.  We have to stare at the students the entire time.  Likewise, the students are not allowed to read, etc. when they finish tests early.  Instead, they can put their heads down or stare off into space (or stare back at me...which is just a little creepy).

It's BOR-RING with a capital b.  Not only that, but I was thinking today that the students can clearly see what it is we value, and while I see the necessity of these tests in a day and age that promotes NCLB and Race to the Top, I don't particularly value these instruments as a true measure of education.  Just made me wonder if they could sense my conflicted feelings on this front.  Since teenagers are pretty decent at smelling emotions, I'll vote a hearty yes.

Thankfully, there is sunlight on the horizon.  My house is very quickly coming together.  Drywall is making a very quick appearance thanks to the help of Tim-the-toolman (real and true, people), my dad, my father-in-law and my amazing husband.  Seriously, these guys have worked their hindquarters off, and that's resulted in the entire ceiling being drywalled and most of the walls.  After we blow the insulation into the interior walls (isn't that awesome!  We had enough left over to make it happen!), they'll be able to finish the drywall and the finisher can come *hopefully* Monday.

That means the cabinet guy will be making an appearance very soon.  And he's going to be happy with us because...you might want to sit down for this...

Chris and I bought our kitchen appliances.

I hope that excites you as much as it excites me.  Honestly, we had no intention of buying them on Monday; however, Lowe's was having a great sale.  I ended up getting nicer appliances (than what I previously picked) for less money than we were originally going to pay.  AND we came in UNDER budget.  Hallalujah.

Now, here's hoping my evaluation tomorrow goes as smoothly as planned.  Given my ability to freak out and develop a high-speed-come-apart with no prior notice, it's up in the air.  Pray, people.

No comments: