Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

How did you come up with that title?

I'm taking part in a thirty day blog challenge to post something new for the next thirty days.  I thought some of the topics were interesting, and while I should probably wait to start until tomorrow, I thought I'd go ahead and begin today.

Personally, I don't think "A Life in Ordinary" is a particularly original title.  I've lived in a small town my entire life, and I've been privvy to a lot of small town living. 

But don't mistake small town with unimportant.

I've met amazing people--people whose ordinary lives were examples of consistency and blessing.  People whose ordinary lives were a facade behind which an amazing person resided.  People whose ordinary lives still mattered.

We spend so much time chasing the red carpet that we miss the amazing gifts that ordinary living has to offer--the relationships, the experiences.

So I decided that's exactly what any blog I write would have to be--ordinary.  I'm serious when I tell you I'm not exciting.  I don't do interesting things and, while I AM a teacher, I don't significantly change the world on a regular basis.  But I don't believe that means my relationships and experiences don't matter.

And I certainly don't believe that means that my life isn't funny.

Here, I'm just as likely to share my weight loss struggles as I am to post a hundred pictures of Favorite wearing hats that just don't fit his head.  I might talk about an awesome meal I had with friends, or the teachers who have reminded me of the type of person I want to be.  I'm likely to share my belief in Christ and my struggle with that relationship.

I will share inconsistencies, constants, hair colors and make-up favorites.

And I will share all of those things because that is what ordinary life is about.  Sometimes, I'll find a miracle in all that ordinary stuff.  But I'm just as likely to smile over the experience, publish the post and go on about my life.

Because the ordinary doesn't stop.

Even when they take up the red carpet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm taking part in this challenge too! I love it and loved your answer :)