Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

From the Land of A Little Too Ordinary

Successful bloggers tend to post about once a day.  The problem?  My life is a little too ordinary at the moment.

Everyone likes to read about issues with hot water and freezing your rear off in the shower.

Most people will suffer through rants about work.

And there are a handful who will even read sad attempts at real writing.

But who wants to read about buying toilet paper or reorganizing my pantry?  I have no interesting anecdotes to tell you about knocking over displays of toilet paper or science experiments climbing the walls in my pantry.

The only slightly entertaining thing I can share is my husband's new addiction to eye cream--and that's not even that fascinating.

So instead, I'll inform you about something I'm going to try and you feel free to comment.

My friend, Big Al, sent me information for a writing contest.  It has an interesting topic so I think I'm going to give it a shot and enter.  But this is where things get a little sketchy.  I'm no writer.  I'm pound things out here because it's a way to clear my head and work through my thoughts, but I'm definitely not a weaver of words.  When I think of people who are (like this girl I went to school with--I called her Hooch.  It's a long story that actually doesn't involve alcohol), I get a little sick to my stomach.

There are people who get Shakespeare's "turn of phrase" and use it to the best of their abilities.  I, on the other hand, tend to grab your hand and walk you through every possible scene instead of letting you do a little discovery of your own.  Plus, I don't have that big of a vocabulary.  So a contest like this is a stretch for me.

But I'm salivating a little bit just thinking about it. 

Maybe it's time to shake up the ordinary a bit, eh?

1 comment:

RaRa said...

Give yourself some credit. I've only been following you for about a week or so, but you definitely have style in your writing, the hardest thing to "teach" (since both of us are HS English teachers). Weaver of words. Nice alliteration!