Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge, 6/15


1. What is one thing on your bucket list? If you don't have a bucket list let's pretend you do.

Oh, I have an entire list.  But one thing I'd like to do is to be able to run an entire mile without stopping.  I quit training for that after Lil' Bro moved, but I need to pick up again and kick my own butt. 

Stay tuned.  The training process should be hilariously awful.  Mostly because I'm not a runner.

2. What makes a good dad?

My dad was a pretty good dad, but I can't always explain why.  I don't know that there's one formula out there for every kid.  So maybe flexible?

In case you were wondering, my dad was a great disciplinarian (even though my brother got more spankings than I did--should've learned, Ron) and a fashionista.  He picked out all my mom's clothes and a good many of mine in the past.  He even matches my mom's jewelry and shoes ;)


3. Are you afraid of insects? Which ones?

I don't know that I'm afraid of them so much as I just don't want them ON me.  June bugs freak me out, and, while this is probably weird, I'm not a super fan of butterflies.  I just don't like anything that's going to get in my face or hair or crawl on me.

Ok.  Maybe I just don't like bugs at all.

4. We're barbecuing...what's on the grill at your house?

Pork Steak.

Squash (yellow and green), mushrooms, onions, red and yellow peppers seasoned with Mrs. Dash, garlic salt and olive oil.

Corn on the cob.

Baked potatoes.

Oh, how I love summer.  And questions about food.

I'm hungry.

5. Do you believe that playing is more important than winning?

I don't think I understand the question?

I don't think winning is always important, but different people set different goals for themselves.  For example, "playing" weight watchers isn't really more important than winning.  Trackin'?

6. Do you tan? Use self tanners? Visit tanning salons? See your dermatologist at least once a year?

I do not tan--as in can't.  My skin is the color of paper and does not change color in the sun (with the exception of red); therefore, I'm pretty protective of it.  I don't use self tanners because I'm so pale, I look like a muppet after application.

And I stopped visiting the dermatologist when one of my doctors tried to put me on accutane.  Thank heavens my mother nipped that in the bud.

7. Five years ago I would never imagine that today I would_______________.

be a high school English teacher.  When I graduated from high school, my mother said, "You should be a TEACHER!"  And I said, "You're out of your mind!" 

It took seven years for me to recognize that calling (and it is a calling) and go back to school.  Here's to mothers who totally get it.

I saw this question on Marla's facebook page and I thought it was perfect for the Hodgepodge. Everyone go say hi to Marla...she has an E-book launching this week.

8. I really want two things for my house:

     1.  For people to walk in and say, "None of this matches but it looks totally great together!"
     2.  For people to walk in, flop down on a chair and make themselves completely comfortable.  I want my house to make people completely and totally at ease.

8 comments:

Cindy Swanson said...

What a great blog you have! I love your sense of humor. Coincidentally, we have almost the same grilled squash recipe! Amazing!

Hope you'll stop by my post:

Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

Zoanna said...

Okay, your "playing at Weight Watchers...trackin'?" comment made me laugh out loud. Great answer:)
And it makes me smile to picture any dad picking his wife's and daughter's clothes and jewelry. Mostly because my dad is colorblind and had to ask US, "Is this blue or black?" and we'd say, "Neither, it's yellow," and it would take him a sec---;) .

Anonymous said...

Great post, I found myself agreeing with all of your answers. I love #8 - my house is a bit like that where people come in and are totally at ease but no so much where they say it looks great lol!

Happy Wednesday to you :)

Thena said...

Great answer to #8.

Joyce said...

I love food questions too. I try to keep it to just one in the Hodgepodge : )
I am not a runner and I play at losing weight. Perhaps the two are related?

Betty W said...

I like people to feel that way at my house too. But I think it´s up to the house "owner" to make people feel that way. :)

Susan said...

*giggles* Sorry, shouldn't laugh but the tanning comment was really cute. And I love how you put a spin on not being afraid of bugs... unless they're ON you.

buy rift account said...

WoW! what a great blog indeed.. i really enjoyed reading it.=0