Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Show Us Your Life: Marriage Advice

Welcome, Kelly's Korner visitors :)  Leave a comment and let me know you've been here.



Favorite and I celebrated our 8th anniversary in May, but they have been a full eight years.  We were young when we got married (a mere 21 for me and he was 22), and while I often think several of the things we faced were due to our youth, we've had the privilege to grow together through quite a discovery period.

But the best advice I received (and now pass on) is the advice that came in handy because of our youth.

A woman from Favorite's childhood church told me this:  When you get married, you will be a family.  It will be up to you and Favorite to make decisions for your family, but remember, because you are young, there are other people who will try to make your decisions for you.  There's nothing wrong with asking for advice from people who have more experience than you, but, in the end, it is your decision and no one else's.

We had difficulty with that advice for the first two years, and then we figured out exactly how important it is to make decisions together--without the interference of other people who may not know all the details of our situation.  It doesn't mean we've never asked for advice, but it does mean we've learned to trust each other and our instincts.

Have any marriage stories to share?  I'd love to hear them as I have several of my own.  Give me the link in the comments :)

3 comments:

Holly said...

Great advice! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Your husband's ears are Very Large! But I do like the uniform. Very fancy!

Always Learning said...

Good advice. I believe decisions should be between a husband and wife since you are one flesh now. Keep up the good work!

www.lorialexander.blogspot.com

The Joy of Becoming 1 said...

Hi Crys,

It's my first time on your blog and I found your link on Kelly's Corner:) This is a great post and I defo agree. I've only been married for 3 years, but I have learned this lesson quite quickly too! I shared this on my blog http://thejoyofbecoming1.com/how-to-view-your-marriage/.