Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

South Beach Day 8 (Or a Day in the Life of Dieting with PCOS)

The first two weeks of the South Beach diet don't allow any sort of carb.  In fact, dieters are limited to most meats, low fat cheeses, most veggies and that's about it.

I have been extremely strict, because I figure that if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it well.  In fact, if you recall my temptation with Easter candy, I think you can attest to my willpower. 

Those things would lead one to believe that weight loss was inevitable.  In those first two weeks, women lose a crazy amount of weight.  And as of Sunday morning, I wasn't doing too badly.  I had lost 6 lbs--not as fast as my body used to lose weight, but a respectable amount.

Then, this morning, I GAINED TWO POUNDS.  I'm not sure why I gained two pounds as my day yesterday was filled with meat, eggs and green beans--all acceptable eating for the first two weeks on the diet.

But honestly, such is life with PCOS.  And this is what I've complained about before.  Willpower seems to have little to do with the situation.  I'm convinced that whether or not I want to be fat, my body is desperate to remain that way. 

It's SO frustrating.  Diets wouldn't be that big of a deal if there were effects as the result of actions taken.  That used to happen for me.  It hasn't for the last 8 or 9 years.

Is it any wonder that I end up quitting and eating what I want anyway?  My weight stays about the same when I do that--which is all of a 5-6 lb difference from when I'm dieting.

What's the point?

2 comments:

Katie said...

My only suggestion would be to only allow yourself to weigh once a week. If I had the answers to dieting success, I would be a size 4.

Big Al said...

I agree to only weighing once a week. Same scale, same day/time, same level of clothing (or none at all). Remember hormones and water make weight fluctate daily for reasons that have nothing to do with gaining or losing. Chin up, dear.